Why Say No! To Parabens?
Have you ever wondered what are Parabens and why you should avoid it?
For the ease of understanding, just take any cosmetic product you have and see the label behind.
Look for methyl paraben, ethyl paraben, propyl paraben, butyl paraben or benzyl paraben. If it is in it, then you should be careful in using the product since the product can be harmful.
- What are parabens?
Parabens are a class of chemicals (parahydroxybenzoate) used as preservatives that increase the shelf life of cosmetic products by preventing the growth of bacteria and fungi.
- Where are they used?
They are commonly used in moisturizers, shampoos, body lotions, deodorants, tanning lotions, deodorants, cleansing gels, shaving gels, toothpastes. They are also added in some food products like sausages and other processed foods.
- Why are they used?
- Easily and widely available
- Low manufacturing cost
- Fights bacterial and fungal growth in cosmetics and food products
|Paraben as an ingredient in a shampoo|
- What are the potential harmful effects of parabens?
- Found to have significant role in causing cancers ( esp. breast cancer)
- Lowers testosterone production in male infants
- Found to lower the age of puberty in young girls
- Premature ageing effects on skin
About 25,000 products available today uses paraben. FDA has not put clear restriction on the use of parabens. Hence if health is a concern, we should take time to:
- Check the labels whenever you buy a cosmetic product.
- Look for 'paraben-free' products
However, in spite of all the studies on potential harmful effects, FDA has not yet unapproved the use of parabens if used in amounts less than 25 percent. Having said that, I personally feel it is better to be on the safer side by saying No! to parabens, if health is our first concern