Simple Ways to Tackle Neck Pain
The following are the simple ways to tackle neck pain due to straining.
- Rest.Give your neck enough rest by taking a short while to lie down or walk between work.
- Say no to pillows.Pillows should not be used while sleeping even if it is a modern ''medicated neck pillow'' available in the market these days.
- Change the chair.A chair which has a low back and no armrests can not only strain your neck but also your upper back. You must use a chair with a high back and good armrests to avoid neck strain
- Sit straight.Keep your back straight whenever you sit in front of the TV or Computer. Hunching can cause neck pain.
- Change the position.Make it a point to move about or change your position every one hour while working. Do not sit in the same position for more than an hour.
- Say no to pain relievers. Pain relievers like NSAIDs ( Ibuprofen, Diclofenac sodium, aspirin, etc ) should not be taken because they can render you only temporary relief which only lasts for a short while and may cause grievous consequences if used illegitimately.
- Do light stretching exercises.Stretching exercises of the neck will help you a great deal. You should do this as a warm up exercise before you start a day's work in front of the computer. Flexion, extension, lateral bending, half rotation of neck, shrugging of shoulders , etc. are good exercises for the neck.
- Do Yoga. Salabhasana and Bhujangasana can give your neck immense strength. There is no other exercise that gives so much strength to your neck than these asanas. Sarvangasana is a big no-no to those who have neck pain.It can only worsen the condition.
- Keep away from cold.Cold conditions can aggravate the pain due to neck strain.Try to switch off the A/C for a while if possible or use a shawl or a jacket to cover yourself up.
- Use back packs instead of one shoulder bags.One shoulder bags should be avoided and backpacks should be used since they they aid in symmetrical distribution of the weight on both shoulders equally.
- For instant neck pain relief.Interlock your fingers and hold it tight behind your neck. Now by applying pressure on to the neck with hands, move your neck up and down.This improves the blood circulation and you will get instant relief.
- For long term pain relief, you can apply warm anti-inflammatory oil (like Kottamchukkadi oil, Karpasasthyadi oil or Prasaranyadi oil ) on the neck, shoulders and upper back and give gentle massage for about 5 to 10 minutes. After this do hot fomentation on the neck and upper back.You will get long term relief if you do this everyday. Applying medicated anti-inflammatory oil enhances the mobility of joints of the neck and helps you get rid of the pain easily.