It's Time to Move Your Body
Physical activity is the second most important part of a comprehensive weight management program,first being diet.
Facts to know about Physical Activity
- A combination of aerobic exercises, yoga and resistance training is recommended for weight management. Cardiovascular conditioning, stretching exercises for flexibility should also be included in daily physical training.
- It is recommended that physical activities in the form of aerobics or Yoga should be done for 60 minutes a day,preferably on all days in a week, for significant weight loss, unless medically contraindicated.
- For sustaining weight loss and for weight maintenance, there should be 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity on all days a week.
- Physical activity without diet control will not help to lose weight.
- Physical activity may not necessarily lead to weight loss, but loss of body fat will definitely occur.
- Considerable weight loss through exercise alone can be achieved in 2 months.
- Improved sense of well-being
- Relief from boredom
- Sense of control, happiness and satisfaction
- Relief from depression, stress and anxiety
- Helps in weight loss
- Decreases abdominal fat and body fat as a whole
- Helps in maintenance of weight loss and prevents weight regain
- Prevents decrease in muscle mass during weight loss.
- Increases energy expenditure
- Reduces the risk of heart disease and diabetes mellitus.
- Helps balance the loss of LBM(lean body mass which means the mass of the body minus the fat stored) caused by hypo caloric diets.